Peach Pie

OK confession time, I took my kids down to the States without my husband this summer. I know, bad of me. But my children think the best place ever to eat is the Golden Corral. I know, I know, but what can I say, what ever you want to eat, it is there. Including peach pie. Well, my dear husband, who remained at home while we went and had fun (he had to work) LOVES peach pie. Me, to be perfectly honest, I can leave it. Not a huge pie person. There are lots of kinds I love, like pumpkin, rhubarb, rhubarb strawberry, fresh strawberry,well, OK, maybe just three kinds. Past that, I can walk away. So  anyway, because my poor husband had to miss out on all of the fun and food, I told him that I would make him a fresh peach pie. Never having had made it before. Well, it wasn't hard. Turned out alright (remember, not a fan). Hubby did enjoy it, so I guess it was OK.
Now, I must say that I am some what of a pastry crust snob :)  If it isn't flakey and the right thickness, not a fan. I have a recipe that my mother used and taught me. It is the best recipe that I have ever used. But I didn't use it in the case. I know, took a risk, but knowing the basics of my recipe I went looking for one that didn't make enough for 4 pies, seeing as I was only making one. I used a robin hood recipe that I found. It is pretty close to mine and very easy to use. If you have issues with your pastry, use this and it will most likely go much easier.

Pastry

Ingredients:

for two 9" (23 cm) pie shells or 1 double-crust pie
2 cups (500 mL) ROBIN HOOD® All Purpose Flour
3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt
1 tbsp brown sugar (my addition)
1 cup (250 mL) CRISCO® All-Vegetable Shortening (1 Stick)
1 (1) egg
2 tbsp (30 mL) water, cold
1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar

1. In medium sized bowl shift together flour, salt and brown sugar.
2. With two knives or pastry cutter, cut in shortening.
3. In cup add egg, water and vinegar. Lightly whisk together. 
4. slowly add liquid to the center of the dry ingredients. Mix with hands until all the liquid is incorporated. Cover and place in the refrigerator until needed. 

I found a Peach Pie recipe that I thought looked good. I did add a touch of cinnamon that the recipe didn't call for. I wasn't sure what the tapioca would be like, but it seemed OK, a bit strange, but definitely makes it set up nice! 

This is the Peach Pie recipe 

Peach Filling:

6 cups (2 1/2 pounds) (1.1 kg) fresh peaches

1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
3 tablespoons (35 grams) quick cooking tapioca
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon (12 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

If your peaches don't peel easy. You can just dip them into a pot of boiling water for about 30-60 sec. and then dip into ice water, this is called blanching. After this process the skins should just peel off with little effort. After removing the skins, slice and remove the stones. Place the sliced peaches into a med. sized bowl and toss with the sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, salt and butter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 mins. This allows the natural juices in the peaches to come out and make your syrup. 

Meanwhile, roll out your pastry into two round sheets large enough to cover your pie plate and then the top of the pie. To transfer the pastry without ripping, I roll the pastry partly onto my rolling pin, not enough to over lap, but just over the rolling pin. This way you can lift the pastry to transfer it to the pie pan. 

Once the peach mixture has sat for 30 min. pour into the prepared pastry dish. Then top with the second pastry circle. Seal the edges and cut slits in the top. I like to brush my pastry with milk and then sprinkle with sugar. This recipe you bake at 400F for 45-60 mins until the crust is a nice golden brown. I always put a baking pan under my cooking pies as I have too many time had them boil over and make a lovely mess in my stove, so I would rather just make sure. It didn't boil over, just so you know. But better safe than sorry! 

In my opinion, Peach pie is best served cold with ice cream.


    

Comments