My mom had nice buns!

OK, I have to share a story, it happened many years ago, I was not there, but I have heard it several times. My hubby's grandparents had gone to a swimming party, it was a potluck. His grandma made her buns (not this recipe, I prefer my mama's buns)  to bring. During the evening one of the men yelled across the pool area, Mrs. R... I really like your buns! Haha. So that why I called my post what I did :) Cuz my mom did have nice buns, now I do ;-) Now on to our regular scheduled post...

Buns....
Nothing like the taste of a fresh bun straight out of the oven. Can't you just smell it cooking? Ah, grew up with my mom making buns and bread. Learned at an early age how to kneed the dough, shape it (although not really a favorite thing to do and don't do a great job). Hot buns that melt the butter even before it can be spread. This is my mother's recipe, yes, the same one that I grew up watching my mom make and eating straight out of the oven. Still brings back memories.  Buns IMHO are worth the time and effort :) And not really that hard when you get the hang of it. So impress your family tonight!



Scalded Milk: Bring to a boil, I usually use a sauce pan but I was in a hurry today (ps. don't make buns when you're in a hurry, they need their own time to work the best). Today I used a microwave, it worked just fine, probably will just keep with the microwave. Anyway, you know you got it right when you get a nice "skin" on the milk. You can use fresh milk or even powdered milk as the taste isn't noticeable in the buns. 
 Add in the butter, salt and sugar. Cool

 Meanwhile soften yeast in water, if using instant yeast it only takes a few minutes in very warm water but not too hot as it will kill the yeast, then your buns won't rise and you'll be very sad.

Add the soften yeast to the warm milk and sugar mixture. 
Add in flour.

Mix until well mixed. I usually give it at least 5 mins in my machine, allowing the gluten to get a good workout! Then let it sit until it doubles in size. About 30-60 mins depending on the temperature in your kitchen.

When it is ready it will leave a nice finger hole where you tested it.

Shape into buns! To get a nice shape, make a little circle with your index finger/thumb, push a small amount of dough through the hole. It should smooth the top surface as it is forced through the opening. Then pinch off the end and tuck under, that is the bottom of your bun. 
Let the buns rise once again. About 30-50 mins, until they look about twice the size.


I always add a touch of melted butter on top of the hot, fresh out of the oven buns. Makes them a bit softer.
Buns:

1 Tbsp yeast
1/4 cup water
1 cup milk (scalded)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 well beaten egg
3 1/2 cup shifted flour

Combine milk, butter, sugar & salt - cool to luke warm. Add softened yeast & egg. Add flour and knead until smooth, about 5 mins.

Bake @ 375F for about 20 mins depending on the size of your buns, until they are nicely browned. Makes about 18 buns. You can also use this recipe to make cinnamon buns.


For those of you who are counting calories I calculated how many calories there are in this recipe. If you get 18 buns they are 125 calories each. The total recipe is 2253 if you make them smaller or larger you can calculate the calories by dividing the number of buns there are, assuming they are all approximately the same size. If they aren't, sorry you are on your own there! Hope you enjoy.

Comments